- City Hall
- Community Energy Plan (CEP) Strategic Development
CEP Strategic Development Team
The purpose of the SDT is to recommend, to City Council, strategic initiatives, and metrics on interim goals (3-5 years) to achieve the CEP’s primary goals:
- Ensure economic competitiveness
- Provide reliable and affordable energy
- Protect the environment
Agendas and Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda and Minutes
SDT Meetings are live-streamed, and recordings are available for subsequent viewing on the City’s website at
https://www.cityofholland.com/675/Government-Channel and can be accessed through these websites https://vimeo.com/cityofholland and https://vimeo.com/channels/1633433
Who We Are?
The Holland Community Energy Plan (CEP) Strategic Development Team (SDT), a workgroup composed of community, higher education, Holland BPW, and City Council representatives, is appointed by the Mayor and approved by Council.
Work Group Charter
The SDT will
- Study, identify, and recommend transformational and incremental goals and strategies
- Assess market, technology, and social trends as it relates to Holland and the CEP
- Gather and use community input to determine priorities, due dates, and metrics
- Identify potential funding sources
- Review reports and monitor progress on the key metrics in the CEP
The SDT is supported by the City Manager and Holland Board of Public Works (HBPW) General Manager.
The SDT is composed of:
City Council Member Scott Corbin
HBPW Board President Tim Hemingway
HBPW Board Member PJ Thompson
Hope College Representative Jeff Christians
City Council Sustainability Committee Liaison Nicki Arendshorst
Citizen Representative Boyd Feltman
Citizen Representative Brian Pageau
Citizen Representative Travis Williams
If you would like to send a message to all SDT members, please email email@example.com.
Background & History
The Community Energy Plan (CEP) was developed in 2010, addressing potential strategies to ensure that Holland is an energy-efficient city. The CEP is reviewed and revised every three to five years.
- Letter from Mayor Nathan Bocks (link to the document)
- CEP Background & History (link to the document)
The SDT conducted a benchmarking process to understand the City of Holland's performance and identify effective strategies. Focus communities, similar to Holland with exemplary performance in sustainability efforts, were analyzed. An internal review was also done that revealed indicators that make Holland unique.
- Benchmarking - Focus Communities (link to document)
- Benchmarking - City of Holland Internal Review (link to document)
- Sustainability Timeline - City of Holland and Holland Board of Public Works (link to the document)
The SDT established key levers that identify areas of focus for the CEP. Each lever is defined with goals, targets, and strategies that can help guide community actions and choices.
- 2021-2025 Goals, Strategies, and Action Steps (link to the document)
- Presentation to City Council on 10.13.2021 by SDT Leadership (link to the document)
- Presentation to City Council on 10.20.2021 - 2018-2021 CEP Strategic Development Team (SDT) Tactical Actions Close-Out (link to the document)
- Holland City Council accepted the 2020-2021 CEP Strategic Development Team (SDT) Report and Recommendations on 10.20.2021, City Council Action #21.457 (link to the document)
- Community Energy Plan Annual Report 2022 (link to the document)
Glossary of Terms
The following document is a summary of selected terms and abbreviations used in the Strategic Development Team Report. In some cases, terms are defined in the body of the text and may not be repeated here (link to the document)
The SDT members received a Resources Document for reference. The sources of this information are wide-ranging, but many of them are documents that have previously been discussed by the previous SDT process and come straight from the Community Energy Plan. The Resources document is a document that will be updated periodically.