At 12:36 PM the Holland Fire Department was alerted for a fire in a residence at 255 Orlando. The first engine arrived on scene within 6 and a half minutes. The Lieutenant establishing command reported a working fire with smoke showing from the roof and attic of the single family residence. The crews made quick work on locating and extinguishing the fire in that was located in the attic, as the fire began to burn through the roof. These efforts confined the fire to the attic space above a bathroom. This prevented further fire damage to the home, and also prevented fire spread to a neighboring home, due to the driving winds. An investigation was conducted by the Holland Fire Marshal concluded that the fire originated in the attic in proximity to a bathroom vent fan.
Total damage is estimated at $55,000 to the fire structure. Efforts by the department prevented an estimated $250,000 in additional damage. The Holland Fire Department was assisted on scene by Holland Township Fire Department and Park Township Fire Department. Units continued to operate on scene for approximately 3 hours.
Additional services on scene were Holland Department of Public Safety – Police Services , Holland BPW, SEMCO, Holland Victim Services, American Red Cross, and AMR. The Hamilton Fire Department and Graafschap Fire Department provided coverage for the city and responded to multiple calls for service during this time.
Later in the day fire crews responded to to additional fires. At 4:58 PM units were dispatched to a possible commercial fire at 1122 Lincoln Avenue. This involved a small storage shed behind the Windmill Mobile gas station. This was quickly contained with no extension into other structures. Following this incident crews were dispatched to 1116 Ardmore at 6:00 PM for a possible residential fire. A fire originated in a retaining wall which was attached to the single family home. Quick action by the homeowner in detecting the fire and initiating extinguishment with a garden hose controlled the fire and prevented it from spreading. Upon arrival, Holland firefighters verified that the fire was out and checked for extension.
In closing we would like to take this opportunity to remind all community members to make sure working smoke alarms are present and that they are tested monthly.