Holland firefighters were dispatched to a report of a fire in a residence located at 289 E. 13th Street. At 10:08 pm a resident calling 911 indicated that there was a fire on a stovetop that was extending into the cabinets. First arriving units indicated that a working fire was present in the structure. Firefighters made entry to the structure and extinguished the fire shortly after arrival. They remained on scene to complete ventilation and confirm that the fire did not extend further into the structure.
There were no injuries to residents or firefighters. The fire is currently under investigation by the department's Fire Marshal. Complete damage estimates are not available at this time however direct flame damage was limited to a portion of the kitchen through the early efforts of fire crews. The home is reparable however will be uninhabitable until restoration efforts are completed. All residents that were displaced as a result of the fire have been able to secure temporary housing for the evening.
The Holland Fire Department was assisted this evening by the Holland Police Department. The Graafschap Fire Department and Holland Charter Township Fire Department provided coverage and responses to subsequent incidents that occurred while Holland units were committed to the initial incident.
It is important to note that smoke alarms present in this residence did activate and were sounding when fire units arrived on scene. Smoke alarms provide early indication of fires in homes. The department encourages everyone to test smoke alarms monthly and change batteries at daylight savings time in the spring and fall.